How to Get a Virtual Office Address in Japan for Your Company?A Practical Option

Thinking about registering a company in Japan while working remotely?

After moving my company’s registered address from Osaka to Tokyo, I recently had to change it again. That’s when I discovered GMO’s virtual office service.

If you’re a digital nomad or a small business owner who mostly works from home and doesn’t really need a physical office, this might be worth knowing about.

Here are a few things I learned from actually using the service.

1. GMO Is a Big Name in Japan

GMO Internet Group is a major Japanese internet company headquartered in Tokyo. Its businesses cover areas including internet infrastructure, fintech and cryptocurrency, digital advertising, and media.

Compared with some more traditional Japanese financial institutions, GMO’s services tend to be quite friendly toward small businesses and startups.

For example, many new companies in Japan use GMO Aozora Net Bank when opening a corporate bank account.

That was one of the reasons I was already familiar with the GMO ecosystem.

2. There Are Virtual Office Locations Across Japan

GMO’s virtual office service currently has 22 locations across Japan.

GMO’s virtual office service currently has 22 locations across Japan
GMO’s virtual office 

You can check the available locations and apply directly through its website.

The choices are surprisingly broad. Depending on the plan, you can get an address in places ranging from Ginza in Tokyo to Umeda in Osaka, Fukuoka, and Hokkaido.

For a company that doesn’t actually need a physical office, having a business address in a major Japanese city can be quite convenient.

3. Read the Plans Carefully

This is probably the most important thing to check before signing up.

The website provides detailed information about what each plan includes, but the services vary depending on the price.

Some plans allow you to use the address as your company’s registered address, while cheaper plans may only provide a mailing address.

For example, the ¥660/month plan (about US$4.40) cannot be used to register a company address.

Depending on the plan, mail can be forwarded to you:

  • Monthly
  • Every two weeks
  • Weekly

There are also additional services, such as adding the GMO Office LINE account and having your incoming mail photographed before deciding whether you actually want it forwarded.

For someone who works remotely, these little features can be surprisingly useful.

4. The Entire Application Process Is Online

From application to signing the contract, everything can be handled online and by email.

So if your Japanese isn’t great, don’t worry too much. My emails were answered quickly, and the process was quite efficient.

However, there is one thing you really need to pay attention to: Japanese full-width and half-width characters.

Yes, I made the same mistake again.

When I entered my company’s previous address, I didn’t make it exactly match the information on the company’s official registry.

In Japan, seemingly identical characters can actually be different when one is full-width and the other is half-width.

If you’re entering company information, make sure it matches your Company Business Licence exactly.

This is one of those very Japanese administrative details that can drive you slightly crazy.

5. There Is One Catch

The downside is that you need to pay for one year upfront.

Credit cards are accepted, but payment is required before the contract is finalized.

Don’t panic, though.

GMO reviews the applicant and the company before completing the contract. If the application is ultimately rejected, the payment is refunded in full according to the service’s terms.

So the process isn’t simply “pay first and you’re guaranteed an address.”

6. Check for Promotions Before You Pay

GMO Virtual Office frequently runs promotions for new customers.

I’ve seen campaigns offering the first three months for free, which makes the service surprisingly inexpensive.

the first three months for free,
              the first three months for free

There may also be a referral discount for existing customers. At the time of writing, my referral code offers an additional 20% discount:

Referral code: REF-8szte2

If you decide to use it, make sure you enter the code before making your payment.

Please note that this is a referral code, so I may receive a benefit if you use it. I’m sharing it because I personally used the service and thought it might be useful for other people running small businesses remotely in Japan.

Is a Japanese Virtual Office Worth It?

For me, the biggest advantage is simple: I don’t need a physical office.

I work from home, so paying for a traditional office just to have a business address doesn’t make much sense.

A virtual office gives me a registered business address, mail handling, and some additional services without the cost and hassle of maintaining a physical workspace.

If you’re a digital nomad, freelancer, or small business owner looking to register a company in Japan, a virtual office could be one option worth considering.

Just remember to check the exact plan requirements before signing up—especially whether the address can actually be used for company registration.

And, seriously, don’t make my full-width/half-width mistake.


Related Reading :

Comments