Why My PayPay Card Residence Card Update Was Rejected: Full-Width vs Half-Width Characters,Watch Out for This Common Japanese Form Error
Recently, I made a mistake that I had actually warned others about before.
While updating my Residence Card information for my PayPay Credit Card account, I accidentally entered some numbers using the default English keyboard settings on my phone.
At the time, everything looked correct to me, so I submitted the application without a second thought.
About ten days later, I received a notice saying there was a problem with my submission.
The frustrating part?
The notice didn’t explain what was wrong. It only said that the information could not be verified and that I needed to submit it again.
![]() |
| Full-width vs Half-width numbers |
How I Found the Problem
When I started filling out the form for a second time, I paid much closer attention to every field.
That’s when I noticed something interesting.
The numbers I had entered looked slightly narrower than the numbers printed on my Residence Card.
The mystery was solved.
I had accidentally used half-width characters instead of full-width characters.
In Japan, this small difference can sometimes cause verification systems to reject submitted information.
The Lesson I Learned
When entering information such as:
- Your address
- Residence Card details
- Identification numbers
make sure the information matches the original document exactly.
Even a tiny formatting difference may cause problems.
This is especially true when Japanese systems require specific character formats.
The Good News
After resubmitting the information with the correct character format, I received a confirmation email two days later.
My account returned to normal, and the update was successfully completed.
An Additional Note About Credit Cards
One thing I learned during this process is that credit card providers may handle expired Residence Card information differently from ordinary bank accounts.
In my case, card usage became restricted once the previous Residence Card expiration date passed.
Some bank accounts may allow a temporary grace period while a new Residence Card is being processed, but policies vary depending on the institution.
It’s a good reminder to update your information as soon as possible after receiving a renewed Residence Card.
Final Thoughts
This was a tiny mistake, but it cost me almost two weeks.
If you’re updating Residence Card information for PayPay Credit Card or any other Japanese financial service, double-check whether the form requires full-width or half-width characters.
A small formatting issue can be surprisingly difficult to spot.
Hopefully this experience saves someone else a bit of time and frustration.
If you’re interested in learning more about the difference between full-width and half-width characters in Japanese administrative forms, I’ve written a separate guide on that topic as well:



Comments
Post a Comment