Japan Post Bank App Says “Service Temporarily Unavailable”? Here’s the Android Fix That Worked for Me


Last week, after updating my Residence Card information in the Japan Post Bank app, I suddenly found that I could no longer log in.

The app simply displayed:

“Service is temporarily unavailable.”

No error code.

No explanation.

Just that vague message.

It took me several days of troubleshooting before I finally figured out what had happened. Since I couldn’t find a clear solution online, I decided to document the entire process in case it helps someone else.


What Happened?

A few days earlier, I had upgraded my phone to Android 16.

During the initial setup, I chose my native language instead of Japanese because it was simply more convenient.

Everything else on the phone worked perfectly.

Every app installed normally.

Only the Japan Post Bank app refused to let me sign in.

At first, I assumed it was a temporary server issue.

I waited two days.

Nothing changed.


My Visit to the Bank

Eventually, I visited a local Japan Post Bank branch.

The staff member was very patient and even called several support offices to investigate the issue.

Unfortunately, no one could tell me why the app wouldn’t work.

The only advice they could offer was:

“Please try again later.”

Not exactly helpful.

Japan Post Bank App Says “Service Temporarily Unavailable”


Looking for Clues

Back home, I decided to investigate on my own.

I asked both Gemini and Claude to analyze the situation.

Interestingly, they reached the same conclusion:

The message “Service is temporarily unavailable” is extremely generic.

It can appear for many different reasons, including:

  • account security checks
  • outdated identity information
  • temporary account restrictions
  • modified Android environments (such as rooted devices)
  • unsupported system configurations
  • network-related issues

In other words, the error message itself tells you almost nothing.

Since both AI assistants mentioned the possibility of a device environment issue, I decided to test that theory.


Testing on a Clean Android Device

Fortunately, I had another Android phone available.

It was running a completely clean installation of LineageOS.

No root access.

No customization modules.

No third-party tweaks.

In fact, it was so clean that it didn’t even have Google’s apps installed.

I installed the Japan Post Bank app and attempted to log in.

That’s when I noticed something interesting.

Instead of opening directly, the app required Google Chrome to continue the authentication process.

Until that moment, I hadn’t realized that the Japan Post Bank app actually relies on Chrome to handle part of its login flow.

So I installed Chrome.

Tried again.

Exactly the same error.

Still no luck.


One Small Clue Changed Everything

At that point, I was almost ready to give up.

Then a thought crossed my mind.

If Chrome is handling the login process, it must also be opening a web page behind the scenes.

That means Chrome should have a browsing history.

Maybe there was something hidden there.

I opened Chrome’s history.

Sure enough, I found the long authentication URL that the banking app had generated.

After carefully removing all personal information—such as my name, account details, and date of birth—I asked Claude to help analyze the URL parameters.

The result surprised me.

Completely.


Notes for dear Readers

This article describes my personal troubleshooting experience.

Some conclusions are based on careful testing and AI-assisted analysis rather than official documentation from Japan Post Bank.

Where official confirmation is unavailable, I’ve made that clear to avoid presenting speculation as fact.



The Unexpected Cause

Based on the URL parameters and the troubleshooting process, Claude suggested an unexpected possibility.

Because my phone was configured with:

  • a non-Japanese system language
  • a region outside Japan

these settings may have caused the banking app’s security system to treat my login environment as unusual.

I couldn’t find any official documentation from Japan Post Bank confirming that language or region settings are checked in this way. However, after changing these settings and repeating the login process, the app worked normally again.

So while I can’t say this is the official explanation, it was the factor that resolved the problem in my case.

One Important Tip

If you encounter the same error, I recommend not repeatedly attempting to log in before identifying the cause.

The authentication URL contained various status parameters related to the login attempt. Although I don’t know exactly how Japan Post Bank evaluates them, repeatedly logging in from an unsupported environment could potentially trigger additional security checks.

It’s better to troubleshoot first, then try again once you’ve corrected any possible issues.

The Steps That Worked for Me

After discussing the issue in depth with Claude and testing several possibilities, this is the process that finally restored access to my account.

1. Return Your Phone to a Standard Environment

Disable Developer Options if they are enabled.

Also turn off:

  • USB debugging
  • Wireless debugging

If you’re using interface customization tools, system modification modules, or similar utilities, temporarily disable them as well.

2. Change Your Regional Settings

I changed my phone to:

  • System language: Japanese
  • Region: Japan
  • Time zone: Tokyo

Again, I can’t confirm these settings are officially required, but they were part of the successful solution in my case.

3. Install the Required Apps

Make sure you’re using:

  • Google Chrome downloaded from Google Play
  • Japan Post Bank App
  • Japan Post Bank Authentication App

One thing I learned is that the banking app uses Chrome during the authentication process, regardless of your default browser.

The Authentication App is also required, as it handles biometric verification separately from the main banking app.

Both of the apps shown in the image below are required:

Both of the apps shown in the image are required


4. Clear All App Data

Before trying again, clear the cache and app data for:

  • Chrome
  • Japan Post Bank App
  • Japan Post Bank Authentication App

Starting with a clean state helps eliminate cached authentication data from previous failed attempts.

5. Restart Your Phone

Restart the device before opening any of the banking apps.

6. Set Up the Authentication App First

This turned out to be an important step.

Open the Authentication App first and complete the registration process.

Japan Post Bank Authentication App
Japan Post Bank Authentication App

Set up fingerprint or facial recognition as instructed.

During setup, the Authentication App also redirects through Chrome, so let that process finish completely.

Before this step is completed, don’t launch the main banking app.

7. Finally, Log In to the Banking App

Once biometric authentication has been successfully configured, leave the Authentication App running in the background.

Then open the Japan Post Bank App.

Japan Post the main banking app
Japan Post the main banking app


Enter your account information as usual.

This time, the app automatically launched the Authentication App, completed fingerprint verification, and signed me in successfully.

My account immediately returned to normal.

Final Thoughts

What surprised me most wasn’t the solution itself.

It was how difficult the problem was to diagnose.

The error message simply said:

“Service is temporarily unavailable.”

That single message can apparently cover many completely different situations, making troubleshooting much harder than it needs to be.

Hopefully, documenting my experience will save someone else several days of frustration.

If your Japan Post Bank app suddenly stops working after updating your Residence Card—or after changing to a new Android phone—it may be worth checking your device settings before assuming your account has a problem.


Related Reading:

Follow me for more "survival" tips on Digital nomad

Comments